dillo-gemini

cel at celehner.com cel at celehner.com
Thu Oct 31 20:44:59 GMT 2019

Greetings Geminauts,

May I announce a new Gemini client: dillo-gemini. It is a plugin for the Dillo browser which enables loading gemini:// URLs. The source is on git-ssb and also available on the WWW here:
https://git.scuttlebot.io/%25V0D7DtSnZyyAp1NbgOJF2ZAFMeUy9eXwyClCEKYUYAI%3D.sha256
Also I am attaching the source code of the initial release.

Implementation notes:
- It uses dillo (dpi) plugin's "filter" mode, which spawns a process to handle each request.
- It is implemented as a shell script which feels like a lazy way of doing it but works. (It is bash but I think could be sh if it weren't for the 'read -d')
- It uses ncat to do the fetching (but could be changed to use openssl s_client instead).
- It does not yet support Input (status code 1*).
- Redirection is not possible for a dillo plugin, so it renders redirects as a page linking to the target URL.
- It does not manipulate the request path but lets Dillo handle setting the target URLs. "client torture test" items 0009 and 0010 are not passed, because dillo does not remove the "./" parts of the URL - although it would be possible for the plugin to do this internally (without redirecting).

Regards,
Charles Lehner (~cel)