A proposed scheme for parsing preformatted alt text

Sandra Snan sandra.snan at idiomdrottning.org
Mon Sep 7 21:15:43 BST 2020

This feels like the "hot comment" antipattern. Codifying a part of the
language that was meant for humans.
http://wiki.c2.com/?HotComments

As for table output, I've been really happy with how the unicode tables
from md2gemini look. I have used many many ASCII tables via org-mode and
pandoc markdown. Which I use depend on the source data.

For a table that's primarily meant to be seen and used (like the D&D
tables I've posted) by humans I think the unicode tables are great.

And, you _can_ extract the fields and records from them:
The fields are separated by │ characters and whitespace.

Screenreaders could set those characters to silent and then read off the
values in each row separately.

For data that's meant for computer usage, it's easy to convert the
unicode tables to computable data, but a separate TSV file (or
sexps, XML or even JSON) is better.

That's kind of how I see the gem files, and I mean the following as a
warm compliment: they're glorified index listings. The "one link per
line" is a great structure for actually linking to actual files.

While I'm on the topic of one link per line, the whole numbers in the
paragraphs to refer to line links style is not cool. Its as if you want
inline links. If you wanted inline links then why didn't you put them in
the spec?

The spec was designed by someone who wanted text paragraphs followed by
(or preceded by) lists of links. _Pages_ are hypertext, but the prose
isn't.