[ANN] announcing the outpost, a kinda sorta reddit-esque forum

John Lemme jclemme at uri.edu
Sun Dec 27 06:19:23 GMT 2020

gemini is sorely lacking forums. i glommed this together over the past couple days - it's a messageboard / link aggregator with support for threaded comments. (i think sose beat me with motm, but always good to have two options y'know)

gemini://bearforceone.net/outpost (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/259A17B4-5F54-4FA7-A18C-DA38DC0D1888@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=gemini%3A%2F%2Fbearforceone.net%2Foutpost&recipient=Z2VtaW5pQGxpc3RzLm9yYml0YWxmb3guZXU%3D)
it's a little bit simple. i'm planning on adding support for some kind of voting mechanism this week, as well as the ability to edit/append to/delete comments. it's more of a hack than a fully functional site right now but i'd love your feedback.
authentication is entirely through client certificates, where the common name of the cert is your "username". this is obviously not a good long-term solution - there's no good way to enforce username collisions, for instance - but it works in the meantime. if you're using Kristall it'll ask you for a CN when you make an identity. i might make a registration system with email verification, but i don't know if that's the best way to go about it.
anyway let me know what you think. ideally, on the site itself lol.
-john