[spec] Possible Tables Syntax

Katarina Eriksson gmym at coopdot.com
Mon Jan 4 05:32:36 GMT 2021

Karmanyaah Malhotra <karmanyaahm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think having some, any, sort of table syntax that can be adjusted by
> the client is useful.

Plenty of things would be useful. The question isn't "is it useful?" The
question is "can we do without?"

```parse:table:/link/to/file.csv
> +--------------------------------+-------+
> | Food                           | Price |
> +--------------------------------+-------+
> | Eggs                           | $2    |
> | Eggs and spam                  | $4    |
> | Just spam                      | $2    |
> +--------------------------------+-------+
> ```

Ah, yes. Abusing the alt text. I've done that [1] and Solderpunk was not
exactly amused. [2]

Sure, use of alt text is at the client's discretion and the spec mentiones
using it to indicate a programming language. Do keep in mind that it will
be read out to visually impaired users, so please go easy on the syntax.

For links, I recommend link lines. That way, everyone can get the file.

Here is another example, with added line numbers to show intentional line
breaks:

00]
01] ``` The table listing Food and Price says: Eggs are $2, Eggs and spam
are $4, Just spam are $2.
02] +--------------------------------+-------+
03] | Food                           | Price |
04] +--------------------------------+-------+
05] | Eggs                           | $2    |
06] | Eggs and spam                  | $4    |
07] | Just spam                      | $2    |
09] ```
10] => /link/to/file.csv parse:table
11]

I put the link line on line 10 but you could put it on line 0 if you want.

[1] https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2020/000930.html
[2] https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2020/000933.html

--
Katarina