[tech] doubts (was Re: [spec] [rfc] SEDR 300 VOLUME I)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jan 5 03:29:14 GMT 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 4:55 PM Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

> > By the way, what happens on your implementation if I name the actual
> > gemini/text like "b%2Fw.gmi"? Burn and crash?
>
>   No.  It will be sent as "b/w.gmi".

In what circumstances?  If the URL bar or text link says "b%2Fw.gmi",
that's what should be sent to the server; if it says "b/w.gmi", then *that*
is what should be sent to the server.  The server may treat those
differently or the same.  The reason is that / is a reserved character.
The server ought to treat http://abc.com:80/~smith/home.html and
http://abc.com:80/%7Esmith/home.html exactly the same, per RFC 2616.

You cannot enter here.  Go back to the abyss prepared for you!  Go back!
Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master.  Go! --Gandalf