[tech] doubts (was Re: [spec] [rfc] SEDR 300 VOLUME I)

easrng easrng at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:42:46 GMT 2021

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:27 AM Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:
>   How should the client (or a URI/URL/IRI parser) deal with such links.
IMO they should decode all characters allowed in that section of the
URL. For example, a %2f wouldn't be decoded, because it would split
the path segment. %61 would, because it decodes to "a", which is
allowed and wouldn't change the meaning. The Chrome (Might actually be
V8, idk) and Firefox URL parsers do this for HTTP(S), but not other
protocols.
I think this makes sense because it makes a single normalized form,
and allows for files with special characters in their names. I'm not
sure how servers would handle filenames with slashes in them, though.

- easrng