Fwd: [tech] Signing builds

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 15 19:57:12 GMT 2021

On 15-Jan-2021 01:59, Mansfield wrote:

> (I'm also not sure how the certificate will verify I'm trustworthy when
I'm
> not so certain I want any personally identifiable information to be shared
> with whoever will be running me through whatever process

The whole point of a cert is to prove your identity to someone who will do
something for you (or allow you to do something to them) based on it.
Consider these real-life examples.

I go to my pharmacy to pick up my prescription medicines.  The meds are
only for me, so only I can pick them up.

Case 0: personal knowledge

Me: Hi there.  Can you give my meds please?

Clerk: Oh, hello, Mr. Cowan.  Nice to see you again.  Here you go.

Case 1: self-signed cert

Me: Hi there.  I'm John Cowan, and I want to pick up my medicines.

Clerk (who doesn't know me):  Can I see some identification, please?

I hand over a piece of paper.

Clerk: Umm, this says you are John Cowan, all right, but it's only signed
by you.  This doesn't prove a thing.  ...Next customer, please?

Case 2: anonymous cert

As in Case 1 until the clerk looks at the letter.

Clerk: This says "The bearer of this document is known to me as 'Joe
Nameless'.  Signed A. Nonny Mouse, Chief Identifier, Fly-by-night
Corporation."  I'm sorry, this doesn't help: the name on this paper doesn't
match your name.

Me:  Well, of course not!  I wasn't going to give Fly-by-night my
personally identifying information!

Clerk:  Sorry ... next customer, please?

Case 3: CA-based cert

Same as Cases 1 and 2 until the clerk looks at the letter (actually a card
this time).

Clerk:  Okay, this says that the State of New York, which we trust, has
verified your identity as John Cowan.  Hello, Mr. Cowan.  Here you go.

The man that wanders far from the walking tree
        --first line of a non-existent poem by me