[tech] Funny endless redirection

Luke Emmet luke at marmaladefoo.com
Sat Jan 16 11:45:45 GMT 2021

On 16-Jan-2021 11:04, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote
>> But anyway, the URL is not a valid one - were you just playing
>> around or did you follow a link from somewhere that linked to that
>> URL?
> Following a link. (Unfortunately, Lupa does not register where did the
> URL in its database comes from.)

For client authors, there is also the recommendation in the Gemini "best
practices" doc to not automatically follow more than N (suggested N=5)
redirects. This would prevent getting stuck in any intentional or
inadvertent redirect tar pits that await.

I think there is are some intentional infinite redirect loops in the
client torture tests as well as the usual inadvertent server or CGI bugs
out in the geminiverse.

gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/docs/best-practices.gmi

  - Luke