Introducing my new server, and two questions

Alex // nytpu alex at nytpu.com
Sat Jan 16 18:53:46 GMT 2021

On 2021-01-16 06:18PM, Miguel de Luis Espinosa wrote:
> This is Miguel de Luis, hailing from Canary Islands, Spain and this is
> my little gemini capsule gemini://enteka.xyz which uses the
> Glasgow-php server. Mostly because php was already installed in the
> server and it worked nicely.
Welcome to geminispace!  Unfortunately my Spanish isn't too good but
maybe reading more Spanish gemini content will help me learn better!

> *  As for file extensions, I'm using .gemini but I see many people
> prefering .gmi  Should I change to .gmi? Are there any rules I'm not
> aware of?
I don't think it matters.  .gemini seems to be falling out of
popularity, but everything I've come across understands it so it's fine
I'd say.  Looking at your server, your most recent post with a .gmi
extension (gemini://enteka.xyz/sonriePalea.gmi) is sent with a mime type
of text/plain, so I actually think your server doesn't recognize the
.gmi extension.

> * Do Gemini capsules use the same Atom feed format as other. I tried
> to make my own feed but I got a validation error telling me the gemini
> protocol was not registered at (some acronym IAPA or something?)
You'll get a validation error for atom, I just ignored it as the rest of
my feed was fine.  If an aggregator can access content on gemini it
knows about the gemini protocol and isn't relying on a hardcoded list of
registered schemes.

I know there's plans to get the gemini scheme (the "gemini:" part at the
beginning of URLs) registered with the IANA, but nothing has happened so
far.

> * Is there a Gemini-aware feed format?
There is!  It's a “companion specification,” see this page:
gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/docs/companion/subscription.gmi

Looking at your site, your homepage is already compatible with gemini
feeds, so you're all set on that front.

~nytpu

--
Alex // nytpu
alex at nytpu.com
GPG Key: https://www.nytpu.com/files/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint: 43A5 890C EE85 EA1F 8C88 9492 ECCD C07B 337B 8F5B
https://useplaintext.email/