How to implement IDN

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Sun Jan 24 06:55:23 GMT 2021

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 09:25:37PM -0500,
 Karmanyaah Malhotra <karmanyaahm at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 58 lines which said:

> I'm trying to implement IDNs right now, but I don't get
> which approach I'm supposed to use.

No decision has been taken yet, so there is not an "official" way of
doing IDN in Gemini. It's probably the biggest issue in the temporary
specification.

> It seems like the spec hasn't been updates on this, so which method
> would be the best for compatibility with servers?

Today, it seems the majority of the servers expect an URI, not an
IRI. So you have to send ASCII-only requests (despite what the
temporary specification says).