Enviroments (was poetry)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Feb 9 00:38:00 GMT 2021

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 7:20 AM Miguel de Luis Espinosa <enteka at fastmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been giving some thought to how to share poetry and other, let's say,
> more typographically rich content in Gemini.

Can you explain more clearly what your poetry requires beyond the
plain-text formatting of ```...``` sections?  The only thing I can think of
is that it will appear in a monowidth font.

Enviroments. We already have one: plain text. We could have something like

> ```
> roses are red
> this     preserved space is not blue
> so poetry you can do
> ```

The spaces should be preserved already because of the ```.

O beautiful for patriot's dream that sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears!
America! America!  God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law!
        --one of the verses not usually taught in U.S. schools