Re outreach and YouTubers

Alexis flexibeast at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:56:31 GMT 2021

Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane at sources.org> writes:

> My experience with promoting Gemini is that, in almost every
> case, the
> criticisms I hear against Gemini are addressed in the FAQ,
> section
> 2. And, most of the times, well addressed, in my opinion.

Indeed. i've encountered people discussing Gemini as something
intended to supersede the Web, even though the opening text of
gemini.circumlunar.space states:

> Gemini is a new internet protocol which:
>
>    Is heavier than gopher
>    Is lighter than the web
>    Will not replace either

and FAQ 1.4 states:

That said, in terms of FAQ 1.1:

> You may think of Gemini as "the web, stripped right back to its
> essence" or as "Gopher, souped up and modernised a little",
> depending upon your perspective.

i prefer the latter perspective, as i think the former tends to
encourage people to think of Gemini along the lines of, say, HTTP
1.1 and HTML 3.2.

Alexis.