Gemini and Tor

shardiame shardiame at disroot.org
Wed Feb 10 13:59:37 GMT 2021

Just in case anyone else is as intrigued by the idea of Tor and Gemini together (or wants to read why I am excited by it...)

- I like Tor
- easy to self host (no DNS, no VPS or NAT holes)
- pretty darn anonymous
- safe for clients (protocol makes leaking client details hard)
- safer for server (tiny attack surface)

I wrote up this post on Gemini and Tor, along with some generic "why Gemini" stuff.

https://www.residualbits.org/posts/2021/02/why-gemini-hidden-capsules/

Here is the Gemini version (without the love letter to Gemini since if you are reading this you've probably drunk the Koolaid).

gemini://tilde.pink/~shardiame/2021/hidden_gemini.gmi

Over the coming weeks I have some plans to build up a self contained Gemini via. Tor Hidden Service server in GoLang.

gemini://tilde.pink/~shardiame/2021/darkgems_origin.gmi

Cheers!