[users] Re: Promoting Gemini, is anyone working on outreach?

Jason McBrayer jmcbray at carcosa.net
Thu Feb 11 15:21:26 GMT 2021

Solene Rapenne writes:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 10:15:18 -0500
> Jason McBrayer <jmcbray at carcosa.net>:
>> I'd *like* to fairly rapidly get hosting a Gemini capsule to be "as
>> simple as hosting a Geocities site in 1996", and from there, make
>> progress towards "as simple as having a LiveJournal in 2004", the
>> catch being is that I want to do this with as little Web Platform
>> technology as possible, and preferably none.
>>

> this could be done as simply offering a nextcloud hosting that leads
> to a directory published on the gemini server. That's a bit overkill
> but will be easy to access to non tech people I think.

That's certainly a thought! I'm not sure how straightforward a nextcloud
signup is. My current thinking is towards a cross-platform native GUI
app that provides a fully-integrated signup (within a ring of supporting
hosting providers), reading, and publishing (over scp/rsync). But I
don't currently have the sporks to implement it.

--
Jason McBrayer      | “Strange is the night where black stars rise,
jmcbray at carcosa.net | and strange moons circle through the skies,