Medium.com proxy

Solène Rapenne solene at perso.pw
Sat Feb 13 15:14:57 GMT 2021

Le 2021-02-13 10:33, b10m a écrit :
> Hey all,
>
> As I see more and more fun projects arise, I hacked up a quick
> medium.com proxy for gemini. Medium tends to offer long reads with
> mostly just text, so it's perfect content for gemeni!
>
> Have a look at gemini://b10m.net/cgi-bin/medium and paste your https
> medium URL[1]

This kind of bridge raises a few questions

- medium.com texts are not under open licence so you can't redistribute
   it over a bridge that will strip most of it (ads included)
- the author may have wanted some specific layout/markup that you won't
   be able to render
- the authors / medium.com publishers are not aware that their content
   is available outside of medium.com

It may not seem harmful but I think it is wrong to proceed like this.

It works for something like wikipedia because the texts ARE licensed
with a compatible license for this kind of bridges.