Gemini talk at FOSDEM '21: Thanks, Bortzmeyer!

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Mon Feb 15 07:46:57 GMT 2021

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:46:19PM +0000,
 Luke Emmet <luke at marmaladefoo.com> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

> I could not understand how that can be correct? Gemtext *is* indeed
> a hypertext format with hyperlinks. A hypertext is merely any form
> of text and links forming a graph structure that allows users to
> navigate the links.

I disagree. Gemini has links but not hyperlinks. This is why, for
instance, it is hard to translate automatically HTML (or any format
with hyperlinks) in gemtext; you are forced to postpone the links at
the end of the paragraph, thus losing context.

Many users would be surprised if we told them Gemini has hyperlinks,
when discovering how it works.