Gemini talk at FOSDEM '21: Thanks, Bortzmeyer!

Vasco Costa vasco.costa at gmx.com
Mon Feb 15 09:31:14 GMT 2021

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 08:46:57AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:46:19PM +0000,
>  Luke Emmet <luke at marmaladefoo.com> wrote
>  a message of 32 lines which said:
>
> > I could not understand how that can be correct? Gemtext *is* indeed
> > a hypertext format with hyperlinks. A hypertext is merely any form
> > of text and links forming a graph structure that allows users to
> > navigate the links.
>
> I disagree. Gemini has links but not hyperlinks. This is why, for
> instance, it is hard to translate automatically HTML (or any format
> with hyperlinks) in gemtext; you are forced to postpone the links at
> the end of the paragraph, thus losing context.
>
> Many users would be surprised if we told them Gemini has hyperlinks,
> when discovering how it works.

The definition of hypertext does not specifically mention that the
hyperlinks must be embedded multiple times within a line. It's perfectly
fine if you only define hyperlinks in new lines, which is the particular
case of Gemini.

Therefore, Gemini is hypertext.

--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gemini: gemini://gluonspace.com/
Gopher: gopher://gopher.geeksphere.tk/