[users] Name for Gemini-style text with links?

Vasco Costa vasco.costa at gmx.com
Mon Feb 15 10:30:17 GMT 2021

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:21:40AM -0800, Nathan Galt wrote:
> Everyone seems to agree that HTML is hypertext, but opinions are split, to say the least, about whether Gemini text is.
>
> Is there a known word for Gemini text-style links?

Like I've said in a previous message recently, the definition of
hypertext/hyperlink seems to be extremely generic. I haven't seen any
constraints saying it must be possible for links to be embedded in-line
in paragraphs, nor have I seen anything that deems links on a newline by
themselves as non-hyperlinks. I really see the concept of hyperlinks as
something more abstract, presentation-neutral and representable by a
graph. It just happened that HTML and others allowed such embedding...

That being said, and getting back to your question, what if we just call
them links? The word link seems to be universally accepted as something
less restrictive than hyperlink. Perhaps there's no need to find a
specific word for Gemini?

--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gemini: gemini://gluonspace.com/
Gopher: gopher://gopher.geeksphere.tk/