[users] Name for Gemini-style text with links?

Luke Emmet luke at marmaladefoo.com
Mon Feb 15 10:54:00 GMT 2021

On 15-Feb-2021 10:30, Vasco Costa wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:21:40AM -0800, Nathan Galt wrote:
>> Everyone seems to agree that HTML is hypertext, but opinions are split, to say the least, about whether Gemini text is.
There may be a range of valid and invalid opinions :) but Gemini forms a 
hypertext system.

We are so used to the most pervasive hypertext system - the web - with 
its fine grained inline markup, we may not realise that it is simply one 
of the forms hypertext can take.

Gopher is a hypertext system too.

>> Is there a known word for Gemini text-style links?

They are simply hyperlinks because Gemini is hypertext. We can call them 
links too as that is a common enough term.

As we know, Wikipedia has its issues, but its definition of hypertext is 
not bad


> "Hypertext is text displayed on a computer display or other electronic 
> devices with references (hyperlinks) to other text that the reader can 
> immediately access.[1] Hypertext documents are interconnected by 
> hyperlinks, which are typically activated by a mouse click, keypress 
> set, or by touching the screen."

Hypertext does have to be defined by a markup language, like the web or 
Gemini, but it is a good decentralised and scalable solution. Otherwise 
you need some sort of centralised system to define the hypertext graph - 
fine for small in-house hypertexts, but not scalable.


  - Luke

More information about the Gemini mailing list