gemini browsers

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Feb 15 15:43:32 GMT 2021

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 12:23 AM Thomas Frohwein <tfrohwein at fastmail.com>
wrote:

> >  > clients MUST NOT automatically make any network connections as part of
> >  > displaying links whose scheme corresponds to a network protocol
> >

> adding the rest of that paragraph:
>
> > [...] (e.g. links beginning with gemini://, gopher://, https://, ftp://
> , etc.).
>
> This reads to me as though automatically displaying links _without_ a
> network
> protol (e.g. gemini://, gopher://, https://, etc.) would be okay. That
> sounds
> like it applies to relative links pointing to a resource on the same domain
> with the same protocol.

I don't think so, though the wording is ambiguous.  I take it to refer to
both explicit and implicit schemes, but to allow automatic fetching of
file: links, about: links, and others that don't involve the Internet.

Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion
that optimum or inadequate performance in the trend of competitive
activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity,
but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be
taken into account. --Ecclesiastes 9:11, Orwell/Brown version