[users] Name for Gemini-style text with links?

Luke Orlando Emmet luke at marmaladefoo.com
Mon Feb 15 16:31:24 GMT 2021

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 at 16:08, Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane at sources.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 08:17:13AM -0500,
>  Jason McBrayer <jmcbray at carcosa.net> wrote
>  a message of 22 lines which said:
>
> > I think we don't need to get hung up on whether Gemtext is hypertext.
>
> I'm not sure. For outreach, it is important. If we claim that Gemini
> is hypertext, beginning authors of gemtexts will be disappointed when
> they discover they cannot add a link on a word.

Yes the web has inevitably set a lot of cultural norms expectations (inline
markup, images, stylesheets, fonts etc) for online hypermedia that Gemini
has to push against when first encountered by new authors. It may turn some
off, but I hope enough will stay and come to appreciate the benefits as
well as the losses of the simplicity of its choices.

 - Luke