"Spy pixels in emails have become endemic"

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Feb 18 15:06:22 GMT 2021

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 5:39 AM Louis Brauer <louis at brauer.family> wrote:

> Didn't realize that SVGs are just part of the DOM and can contain and run
> arbitrary JavaScript. I was a huge fan of SVGs until now :-).

There is a formal profile for SVG-without-DOM-or-CSS-or-JS called "SVG
Tiny", which comes in 1.1 and 1.2 flavors (1.2 added a few features that
are still considered safe).  If you want your graphical Gemini browser to
render such images, outfit it with an SVG Tiny renderer.  I don't know of
any fully conformant SVG Tiny 1.2 renderer at the moment, but svgirl claims
to convert any conformant input to a list of lines and curves to draw,
which can then be passed to any graphics library for actual rendering.

Ahhh, I love documentation.                           --Stephen C.
Now I know that I know, and why I believe that I know it.
My epistemological needs are so satisfied right now.