[Spec] <META> in the response header is too vague

Mansfield mansfield at ondollo.com
Sun Feb 21 22:17:58 GMT 2021

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 3:05 PM Solene Rapenne <solene at perso.pw> wrote:

> From the specification in "3.1 Response headers" it seems there are no
> current limitation to what could be used in META:
>
> <STATUS><SPACE><META><CR><LF>
>
> > <META> is a UTF-8 encoded string of maximum length 1024 bytes,
> > whose meaning is <STATUS> dependent.
>
> There is currently only the content type in it and possibiliy the lang
> metadata added for text/gemini types.
>
> Maybe I missed something about it in the spec, but it's really vague,
>
> - Is it ok to add many data in the response and up to the client to do
> something with them?
> - Should clients be strict and error in case of unknown fields?
> - What is planned for? It has 1024 bytes and doesn't use much, it seems to
> be ready for something else "just in case".

 My implementations of server/client use the META field to communicate
between the server and the user (through the client) - and in many cases,
the value in META *is* limited and well defined by the current spec.

See the 10 and 11 status codes - the prompt that the user should be shown
is the value of the META field.

The 3x status codes - the META is the location the server is redirecting
the client to.

Etc. (there are other places that META has specific meaning - even if the
exact value is left up to the implementor , like on status 10 - as the spec
says, the meaning of META is <STATUS> dependent)

Does that help?