[SPEC] Backwards-compatible metadata in Gemini

Oliver Simmons oliversimmo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:04:41 GMT 2021

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 at 10:48, Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane at sources.org> wrote:

> My question still holds. Should values be unstructured or should we
> have structured types (dates, datetimes, numbers, URIs, etc)?

Unstructured data wouldn't be much more useful than people just
sticking these in the file as plain text. :P

All the usual standards for dates/numbers/URIs should be followed.

As I said before, a list of common keys/values should be a thing.
Anyone could write any freeform keys/values, but a list of commonly
used & supported key/values should be maintained, this should include
whatever format the values follow.

It should be freeform such that I could come along and decide I want
to use a new key and nothing should break, clients will ignore it if
they don't recognise it.
Metadata is not just for the machines, e.g an `author` key would be
mainly for people interested in who wrote something.