[tech] [spec] On extending gemini

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Tue Feb 23 07:53:30 GMT 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 08:41:05PM -0500,
 Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> If you don't agree, go ask Solderpunk yourself. He doesn't seem to
> enjoy talking to this community anymore, though, for reasons quite
> apparent to me.

I will not comment on personal issues (like most of us, I don't know
why he is now silent) but this is a problem for Gemini. The Benevolent
Dictator model has a lot of strengths (fast decision, consistency, no
bureaucracy and processes, ability to keep focused on a tough goal,
etc) but it requires the BD to act. If the BD is absent or silent,
this model turns into the Nobody In Charge, which is really bad,
because it does not allow to decide on touchy issues.