Supporting multi-line input without changing the specification

avr at geminet.org avr at geminet.org
Tue Feb 23 07:42:40 GMT 2021

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 04:06:08AM +0100, Katarina Eriksson wrote:
> Mansfield <mansfield at ondollo.com> skrev:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 5:41 PM Katarina Eriksson <gmym at coopdot.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Since we're still getting proposals, I'm writing something I read
> >> somewhere gemini related. I do not claim I invented this myself. (Except
> >> the codes at the bottom.)
> >>
> >> # Objective
> >>
> >> Provide a way for users to send bigger chunks of text to the server.
> >>

> > <snip>
> >

> >> --
> >> Katarina
> >>

> > Thanks for experimenting!
> >
> > I'm exploring something along those lines too - one complication that gave
> > me some trouble I ended up needing to adjust to: how to *edit* existing
> > text. Any thoughts around that?
> >

> Someone built a wiki for use over gemini. It has its own side-protocol for
> editing but I don't remember the names.

That might be "twinwiki"

https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2020/002078.html
gemini://webgate.geminet.org/web.sh?https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2020/002078.html

Twinwiki uses sed commands to edit, which I found quite clever and elegant. I think the
trick to making it more approachable is to have a client that allows for normal edits but
translates those into sed commands when updating the page (diff -e ?).