[SPEC] Backwards-compatible metadata in Gemini

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Wed Feb 24 10:31:09 GMT 2021

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 06:37:19PM +0100,
 Baschdel <baschdel at disroot.org> wrote
 a message of 65 lines which said:

> One thing I don't really like with this one is, that we use English
> keywords here and that for human readable text that is intended to
> be attached to a file, that could be in any language and is not very
> accessible to non-English speakers.
>
> A possible solution to that could be in unicode and (you guessed it,
> didn't you?) emoji (yay!), at least those little pictures are
> standardized and independent of the language(s) you speak.

In think that believing pictures are culture-independant is an
illusion. The same image will be meaningful for someone, meaningless
for an other and offensive for a third. The proper solution is to have
standard keys, and structured metadata, so the client program will be
able to replace them with locally significant labels (like email
clients do with Date:, Subject:, From:, etc).

(For fun and thinking, someone actually proposed to replace HTTP
status codes by emojis. I made a list of the proposals at
<https://www.bortzmeyer.org/http-code-emoji.html>. It's in french but
you can see the list of codes and the emojis that were actually
proposed. Good luck for finding a proper one.)