[Clients] Gemini and accessibility regarding preformatted code blocks

u9000 (Nine) u9000 at posteo.mx
Fri Feb 26 00:16:45 GMT 2021

On Thu, 2021-02-25 at 17:25 -0500, Sean Conner wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Bradley D. Thornton once stated:
> > On 2/25/2021 11:42 AM, Devin Prater wrote:
> > > But then we get to preformatted blocks, and the dreaded Ascii
> > > graphics. This is what I’ve always disliked about all plain text
> > > mediums. Sure, it’s wrapped up in a pretty block, but as I’ll
> > > discuss in a moment, that isn’t necessarily helpful.
> >
> > I solicited a response from him but to date have heard absolutely
> > nothing from him. But here's what I did in the meantime.
> >
> > ```ASCII-art blah blah blah
> >
> > content
> > content
> > content
> > ```
>
>   I might suggest something like:
>
>         preformat = "```" [ [WSP] tag ] [ [WSP] alt-text] end-of-line
>         tag       = '@art' / '@code' / '@data' / '@poem'

Maybe 'poem' should be 'poetry'; it's the only tag there which is
quantity-specific. What do you guys think about this/the name(s)?

>   The '@tag' format marks out the tag, which I expressly limited to
> just four categories for simplicity---one to mark ASCII (or maybe UTF-
> 8?) art, one for code samples, one for tabular data and one for
> poetry. It's not mandatory, but it could help a client decide how to
> handle the block.

I like the idea of further giving control over how content is displayed
to clients instead of authors, however I think '@tag' might make a
document look very marked up in clients that don't remove the '```'.
Perhaps '#tag' would look more normal?

``` Obligatory Cat picture #art
cat
```