[Clients] Gemini and accessibility regarding preformatted code blocks

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Feb 26 01:57:59 GMT 2021

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:25 PM Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

>         tag       = '@art' / '@code' / '@data' / '@poem'

We now know what the benefit of @art is.  What are the advantages of the
other three over no tag?

> ``` @code
> x = 5
> ```

Shouldn't this be read as if it were "ex equals five"?

``` @art Obligatory Cat picture
> cat
> ```

Right.

> ``` @data Price list
> widget  3.45
> gadget  5.99
> fob     1.99
> ```

Shouldn't this be read as "widget one ninety-nine (pause) gadget five
ninety-nine (pause) fob one ninety-nine"?  How might a visual browser
render it differently?

> ``` @poem
> There once was a person from Nantucket ...
> ```

How might a visual browser render this differently?

  The '@tag' format marks out the tag, which I expressly limited to just
> four categories for simplicity---one to mark ASCII (or maybe UTF-8?) art,

UTF-8 for sure, although some characters aren't monowidth even in monowidth
fonts.

"But I am the real Strider, fortunately," he said, looking down at them
with his face softened by a sudden smile.  "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn,
and if by life or death I can save you, I will."