[Clients] Gemini and accessibility regarding preformatted code blocks

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Feb 26 02:37:21 GMT 2021

> From The Spec (emphasis added):
>

> >  Alt text may **also** be used for computer source code to identify the
> programming language which advanced clients may use for syntax highlighting

Ah.  Well, that certainly doesn't help blind people, nor does it help me (I
view text as black print on white paper, as God and Gutenberg intended!).
Still, I see why some people might want it.  Then again, I see why some
people (definitely including me!) would want italics.

> .Previously, on this list, we discussed having the alt text be on the
> first ``` and parser hints be on the last ```, but I'm not sure anything
> came of that particular discussion other than some try-outs in a vacuum.

Well, The Spec also says that alt-text in the closing preformat line MUST
be ignored by clients.

Dream projects long deferred usually bite the wax tadpole.
        --James Lileks