Should Gemini clients alert users upon redirect?

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Fri Feb 26 13:26:45 GMT 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 11:16:10AM +0100,
 Philip Linde <linde.philip at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 63 lines which said:

> I've raised this issue at least twice before, because there are some
> (or one) Gemini server implementations that do not follow this, and
> will serve a redirect on "gemini://host" to "gemini://host/", and
> the expected content only on "gemini://host/". Even ignoring the
> normalizations in RFC 3986, I don't know that there are any good
> reasons to do this, but last I checked even gemini.circumlunar.space
> does.

And these implementations are right, since the point is currently not
specified (one of the holes in the specification).

A possible way to address a lot of such holes (though not all of them)
would be to just state in the specification:

"For path, query and fragments semantics, just do like the http
scheme." This would solve this problem and would be reasonable since
many people assume that all schemes behave like http.