[Clients] Gemini and accessibility regarding preformatted code blocks

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Fri Feb 26 15:42:53 GMT 2021

On 2/26/2021 7:13 AM, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

Apologies, I need to address one mistake in my last post and add one
thought.

First, the mistake. I forgot to remove the quote marks for Seans
example, in case anyone got confused and would attribute the change to him.

```:

  ____        _   _
 |  _ \ _   _| |_| |__   ___  _ __
 | |_) | | | |  _| '_ \ / _ \| ._ \
 |  __/| |_| | |_| | | | (_) | | | |
 |_|    \_,  |\__|_| |_|\___/|_| |_|
        |___/
```

I'm not suggesting that the above actually be what the authors of
clients should choose to adopt as their "convention", I'm just
clarifying that I edited Sean's example for the purposes of using it as
an example, as he  suggested :)

Second, I would prefer not to refer to ASCII art or ANSI art as art at
all for the purposes of user accessibility, but rather, something like
perhaps "Noise". Because that is effectively what we're doing by
treating such preformatted blocks as a comment, filtering out the noise
for those who will be listening audibly to the dictation of a .gmi file.

Besides, .png and .jpg files, and even .gif or video files may
themselves either contain or themselves be artwork.

Beyond any of that, I do think we need to move on the issue of noise
with some expedience.

I hope that helps :)

Kindest regards,

--