[users] [announce] geminispace.info - alternative search provider

Vasco Costa vasco.costa at gmx.com
Sat Feb 27 14:39:45 GMT 2021

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 11:16:46AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> the third). You still have to write the crawler and, speaking for
> experience, this is not a one week-end project. At the beginning, it
> is, you have a prototype running quite rapidly but then, in the real
> world, a lot of problems happen. My "favorite" is capsules accepting
> TCP, completing the TLS handshake, but then not replying to queries
> but there are also endless redirections and other "funny" stuff.

Indeed. I remember many years ago writing a crawler for the web and
finding similar challenges, despite initially getting excited with a
barebones prototype with just a few lines of code. It's not easy to
handle all the exceptions to the regular behaviour.

> growth of the geminispace (47 capsules added yesterday, a new record,
> including one in catalan, apparently the first one) requires than you
> plan in advance: what works today won't in a few months.

Thank you so much Stéphane for Lupa and the statistics you provide, it's
an incredibly interesting way to see the evolution of Gemini:

gemini://gemini.bortzmeyer.org/software/lupa/stats.gmi

--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gemini: gemini://gluonspace.com/
Gopher: gopher://gopher.geeksphere.tk/