[spec] mercury highlights ☿️

Alex // nytpu alex at nytpu.com
Sun Feb 28 20:21:05 GMT 2021

On 2021-02-28 10:53PM, Ben wrote:
> Any reason why port 1958 is chosen? I was thinking if it's adjacent to
> Gemini (minus TLS) then why not something like 1964? Not unlike XMPP's use
> of 5222 and 5223.
The same reason Gemini uses 1965: Project Mercury was created in 1958.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mercury

As for the rest of it, I belive it's kind of silly.  Solderpunk didn't
come up with Mercury as some sort of alternative where they're giving up
on Gemini, they posed it as a hypothetical point of comparison between a
very simple protocol like Mercury and something more complex like
Gemini.  It was never meant to be taken as serious new protocol
proposal, they use it as a marker for another possible position on the
"complexity axis" between Gopher and the web.  Gemini is one point on
that "axis," Mercury is another possible point, used as a reference
beacon to help keep Gemini in-scope.

~nytpu

--
Alex // nytpu
alex at nytpu.com
GPG Key: https://www.nytpu.com/files/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint: 43A5 890C EE85 EA1F 8C88 9492 ECCD C07B 337B 8F5B
https://useplaintext.email/