Alt text and media types for preformatted text

text at sdfeu.org text at sdfeu.org
Mon Mar 1 10:05:53 GMT 2021

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 09:20:42 +0000, Caolan McMahon wrote:
> One way I think gemini got this right was in using links for images. It
> requires a textual description of the image, and it's shown to all
> users. There's no split in the presentation, everyone is treated that
> same. I like that.
>
> Unfortunately, alt text for preformatted blocks does introduce content
> only likely to be seen by a minority of users.

One solution lies within your comment: remove preformatted blocks from
text/gemini so that we have to link to resources of text/plain or text/
whatever. Just like we do with images etc.

Probably unpopular but simple, right? Is there a mime type for ascii-art?

Clients would probably load these inline which would result in multiple
requests, though.