[user] Putting my blog on gemini, question about subdomains

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Tue Mar 2 17:35:23 GMT 2021

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:00:04PM +0100,
 Snowy <snowy at snowymouse.com> wrote
 a message of 25 lines which said:

> Anyway, my question is... is it better to use a subdomain
> (i.e. gemini.snowymouse.com) or to continue using the main domain
> (i.e. snowymouse.com)?

As said by others: do what you want.

The Lupa crawler <gemini://gemini.bortzmeyer.org/software/lupa/> knows
725 working capsules and only 80 of them has a name starting with
'gemini.' or 'gmi.'. But of course there are other subdomains (4
'capsule.').

Choosing the apex of your domain has pros:

* shorter and simpler URLs
* some people like that more

And cons:

* forces you to keep your Gemini capsule on the same machine as your
Web site (or to use a proxy in front of them)
* inconvenient if your capsule name is an alias to another domain, for
instance to your hoster (aliases at the apex are not easy)

Unfortunately, Gemini (like the Web) does not use the SRV records,
that would solve everything.