[tech] Plaintext Gemini extension

Björn Wärmedal bjorn.warmedal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:53:55 GMT 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 09:18, Artur Honzawa <arturh at gmail.com> wrote:

> It probably has been proposed before, but this is how I could see it working:
>
> Serve rot13 encoded stream in port 1964 as fallback for clients without TLS support.
>
> Add gemini-plaintext: schema for servers without TLS support.
>
> Low implementation burden overall, old hardware support. Thoughts?

All current gemini servers and clients support TLS, and the presence
of encryption is a cornerstone of gemini. If you don't want it you can
use gopher instead :)

Supporting old hardware is a noble goal, but I'd say that's better
achieved by building a proxy service somewhere that serves gemini
capsules over http.

Cheers,
ew0k