[users] General accessibility of Gemini browsers

Luke Emmet luke at marmaladefoo.com
Fri Mar 12 00:28:18 GMT 2021

On 10-Mar-2021 17:27, Devin Prater wrote:
> Hi all. A few weeks ago, I launched a discussion about the accessibility
> of Gemini browsers, particularly of preformatted blocks. Now, I have
> begun exploring the general accessibility of browsers as a whole. Things
> I look at:
>
> <snip>
>
> ## gemiNaut
>

> GemiNaut is really great too. I can use the UI, headings and links are
> labeled, I can read the text of a site just like a website, so screen
> reader navigation keys work. But, preformatted blocks aren't hidden, and
> I've not found a setting to do this in the browser. I'll have to look
> and see if there have been any updates to it in the last few weeks,
> though. Otherwise, it works great!

I've been doing some simple fixes to GemiNaut to improve accessibility
further. In particular there is now an option to skip over each
preformatted section if you are using a screen reader - and the link
includes the alt text label (if any) so you can make an informed
decision whether to skip or not.

I've created a Github ticket and pushed the changes.

https://github.com/LukeEmmet/GemiNaut/issues/22

I haven't rebuild GemiNaut binary yet, but I'll do a new build soon.

  - Luke