[spec] Using a gitlab

PJ vM pjvm742 at disroot.org
Mon Mar 15 19:54:19 GMT 2021

On 15/03/2021 18:24, ew.gemini wrote:
> Everyone else, please note: the one who does the "driving" (or
> the work) is the one who decides.
(punctuation corrected)

I find this statement ridiculous. Let me show why with some snarky
ironic questions:

I fail to see how spc (or anyone else) is the "driver" in this
analogy... Is he perfecting the spec on his own, coming up with the
right answer through internal dialogue? Decision-making is a
responsibility and it is work, but it's not all the work.

And then you seem to be suggesting that everyone beside the driver
should just shut up? That having discussions with the driver is of no
benefit, because the driver has infinite wisdom? That the driver should
not listen to anyone else in the car?

I'm sorry about the snark, that wasn't very friendly. But suggesting
that finalising the Gemini specification is a one-person effort (ie that
others' contributions are worth nothing) is also not very friendly. It
is also not friendly to suggest that spc's reasoning is beyond
discussion, or that his decisions (/especially/ on matters other than
the spec itself) should always be accepted silently.

Sorry for this disproportionately long reply; I just really dislike it
when people try to shut down discussion this way.

--
pjvm