[spec] Using a gitlab

Tue Mar 16 00:33:36 GMT 2021

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021, at 5:35 AM, PJ vM wrote:
> Lastly, I strongly doubt that requiring an account to comment benefits
> the quality of discussion in any way. Your thinking about "skin in the
> game" is interesting, but not more than interesting. In fact, I think
> using gitlab is bad for the discussion quality for a few reasons:
>
> * because of it being split across multiple webpages that few people
> look at unless they're linked to a specific issue, the discussion is not
> visible enough, there is not enough scrutiny. This can lead to nonsense
> arguments not being countered for weeks (probably acquiring multiple
> thumbs up from uncritical readers), or even a "the person who files the
> issue is more likely to win"-type situation
> * you turn away those who are least tolerant of the web, those who are
> not favoured by cloudflare, and those who refuse to make a gitlab
> account for this because they feel they shouldn't have to

I'll be the first to admit that this doesn't address all your issues, since I had an old GitLab account that was just lying around, CloudFlare doesn't hate me, and I'm not particularly web-intolerant, but...

As a lurker, the interface for spec discussion on GitLab is a *lot* like spec discussion on the main list. I went to the protocol and gemtext pages, opted to get all notifications, and then e-mails started coming into my inbox. I set up a couple filters on my end, and now they get auto-filed into folders. At the bottom of all GitLab e-mails is some text saying I can reply directly to the e-mail or visit the GitLab website to reply.

As someone who's fine with mailing lists and likes his e-mail client, this is not an unpleasant steady state of affairs.