Will Gemini ever become a standardized protocol?

nervuri nervuri at disroot.org
Mon Apr 5 16:43:04 BST 2021

On Sat, 2021-03-27, nervuri wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, Drew DeVault wrote:
>>BearSSL is compelling for many reasons
>
>I agree.
>
>>and though work is slow, it is definitely underway. We'll get there.
>
>Ah, so you've been in contact with the developer.  Good to hear.
>Thanks!

I shouldn't have assumed this.  So, just to check: how do you know that
work on BearSSL "is definitely underway"?

Judging by the commit log, development has just about ground to a halt.
Since 2019 there have only been bug & typo fixes and commits have been
getting rarer.

Also, BearSSL has no external audits and doesn't seem to have many eyes
on it.  The author claims it's beta-quality software.  It also lacks
ed25519 support:
https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/gmni-discuss/%3C20210316075714.091701CC0043%40dd49836.kasserver.com%3E

I hope it picks up again, but would avoid it in its current state.  For
very low spec systems, Mbed TLS might be a better way to go:
https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbedtls