[tech] IPv6 addresses in URLs

Tom tgrom.automail at nuegia.net
Fri Apr 16 06:35:06 BST 2021

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:51:33 +0000
nervuri <nervuri at disroot.org> wrote:

> Indeed, this might require clarification in the spec.  There's no
> reason to demand SNI if a raw IP address is used - as almaember
> points out, RFC 6066 even forbids IP addresses in SNI.  If a server
> has multiple IP addresses, it can serve different certificates on
> each of them without having to use SNI.

If we can going to mandate SNI can we at least mandate ESNI for
privacy? Maybe when we mandate TLS1.3 and drop 1.2.

> Also, there's no reason for Gemini to require paying the DNS tax.
> People should be able to host capsules without dealing with DNS.

OpenNIC still exists and I run my resolvers off them. No need to pay a
DNS tax.

--
 ______________________________________
/ <Sanaya> you guys are all sick! sick \
\ sick sick I tell ya ;)               /
 --------------------------------------
\
 \
   /\   /\