[users] Announcing Gemini Quickstart!

Devin Prater r.d.t.prater at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 17:20:41 BST 2021

Thanks so much for making this! I found a typo:

Here, I’m going to recommend just one, that I think will feel most familiar
or least surprising to new users. That doesn’t mean I think the other ones
are bad. A lot of it is just personal preference, just like with web
browsers. After you get used to Grmini with the client I recommend, you may
want to try some others.

Should be:

Here, I’m going to recommend just one, that I think will feel most familiar
or least surprising to new users. That doesn’t mean I think the other ones
are bad. A lot of it is just personal preference, just like with web
browsers. After you get used to Gemini with the client I recommend, you may
want to try some others.

Also, in reasons to use Gemini, accessibility is a big one, to me. Not all
clients are accessible, especially GUI clients on Linux, but a lot on other
platforms are. And having mostly plain text is like having content in
native "reader mode" in regular browsers. Like, I was reading

=> gemini://simplynews.metalune.xyz/

and I'm always amazed when the content is... just right there. No "skip to
content" links, no landmarks needed, the page itself *is* the main content.
Now, Ascii graphics has been an issue, but with many clients now having the
option to not show them, or giving an option to skip passed them, I think
they're not as intrusive nowadays. Of course, not all clients have been
updated, like Elpher, but most have. So, accessibility could be a big
selling point, and I'll do my best to start recommending Gemini.

Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater at gmail.com