[users] Noob-friendly solutions for co-writing a gemini site?

Omar Polo op at omarpolo.com
Tue Apr 20 17:27:55 BST 2021

Unicorn <unicorn at disroot.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> my partner wants to write a site with me. She likes the idea of Gemini
> and the simplicity of its syntax, but is not the kind of person to run
> cli applications like vim and rsync all the time. Which is how I have
> been doing it. She told me she would prefer to use something like the
> Nextcloud inbuilt text editor, though that one uses Markdown
> unfortunately and seems too complex for me to just modify it to work
> with gemtext right now.
>
> So I was wondering, did any of you have similar challenges? What
> solution did you ultimately go with? There are a few pieces to this
> puzzle, so I will just list them individually:
>
> * Easy writing of the text itself with Linux or web-based GUI (syntax
>   highlighting is a big plus, fancy rendering of headers or lists etc
>   is not necessary because it's already so simple)
> * The text should be structured in directories in the exact same way
>   that the site ultimately will be
> * The whole structure of files should be accessible to both of us,
>   either with some server-based solution or with eg. Syncthing keeping
>   the state of our computers in sync
> * The whole structure of files needs to be regularly uploaded to the
>   server that is hosting our site
>
> I would be thankful for any suggestions! I believe finding a practical
> solution for this type of user would be important for more people to
> access gemini as writers. So even if you want to suggest a community
> effort for modifying an existing tool or creating a new one, I am open
> to working on it and hearing your ideas :)
>
> Best,
> Unicorn

I never did something like this (I usually just use git or rsync to
publish) but maybe syncthing[0] is an option too.  If you don't know it,
it like dropbox, you can share directories across various devices, it's
decentralized, free and available for (almost?) all operating systems.

It can sync the files between your and her laptop, and if you don't want
to insta-publish the changes to your server, you can turn off syncthing
on your server and turn it on only when you're ready to publish.  For
editing you can use whatever text-editor you like.

Nextcloud could be an option too, but it seems to require more effort.
IIRC you can edit also plain text files with the built-in editor, but
it won't do syntax highlighting and you have to find a solution for the
publishing part.

Cheers,

Omar Polo

[0]: https://syncthing.net/