The Small Web project

Étienne Deparis etienne at depar.is
Wed Apr 21 16:20:21 BST 2021

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021, Matthew Ernisse wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:05:12AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer said:
>> https://ar.al/2020/08/07/what-is-the-small-web/
>
> The idea seems solid but from what I see of the implementation it appears
> exceptionally complex.  It is a shame that there is an impression that
> you need node.js and JavaScript to get bytes into a browser these days.

It’s more like their assumptions are ok. I mean I think we all agree on
the privacy need and take-back-the-web thing. But I don’t understand how
they switch so quickly from these assumption to
yet-another-static-website-generator. Ok it’s in js, maybe kind of new.
But woah, there is already a lot of static website generator and I’m not
sure to understand their point.

Is this only to federate people under their common *.small-web.org public
suffix? In what is it different from the *.nohost.me/*.noho.st
self-hosting domain from yunohost¹?

So in the end I’m not really convinced. Or I completely missed their point
(what is totally possible).

Étienne

¹ https://yunohost.org/en/administrate/specific_use_cases/domains/dns_nohost_me