The geminauts (Was: Gempub 1.0.0 ; A new eBook format based on Gemini Protocol's Gemtext

Oliver Simmons oliversimmo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:37:44 BST 2021

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 18:58, Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane at sources.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 07:40:37PM +0200,
>  ew.gemini <ew.gemini at nassur.net> said:
>
> > I'm amazed that gemini attracts youngsters as well. Good on you!
>
> Yes, this is important for outreach. Some Gemini fans advertise Gemini
> with a reference to Gopher. However, Gopher means nothing for the
> young people. Using Gopher as a starting point to describe Gemini is a
> bit like explaining the DNS by saying it is "the phonebook of the
> Internet", as if young people knew what a phonebook is!

The opposite isn't too good though, from the two videos that popped up
on my YouTube homepage they seemed to describe it as a "replacement
for the web" and as if the aim was to take tracking for the web. Which
Gemini is not.

In Gemini's current state, if you're hoping to get the stereotypical
person of my age to join in, good luck. Not gonna happen.

Myself I learnt about Gemini via the OpenStreetMap Discord server
(libre volunteer mapper community^).
I can't remember exactly, but I was complaining about the web and
someone gave a link to the Gemini Wikipedia page.

=> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/About_OpenStreetMap
=> https://www.openstreetmap.org/about

-Oliver Simmons