[tech] Integrity checks for Gemini pages

nervuri nervuri at disroot.org
Sat May 22 17:16:25 BST 2021

On Fri, 2021-05-21, nothien at uber.space wrote:
>If servers have not yet been fixed to use close_notify, then there's no
>hope that they would implement any new companion specs / technologies
>for providing integrity.

My suggestions don't entail changes in server software.

>If a user of such a server wants integrity, then they should request it
>of the maintainer of the server code, or switch to a different server;
>there are many out there with the same features.

The user of a pubnix or a flounder-style hosting service would likely
not be in a position to determine what server is used.  But they would
be able to create well-known files or append hash fragments to a few
links.  The idea of hash fragments for third-party links would be
especially interesting to explore, I think.

>Integrity on the server-side is out of the scope of Gemini

As are many features of current Gemini clients.