A proposal to fund the Gemini project

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Fri Jun 25 20:39:45 BST 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Thursday, June 24th, 2021 at 15:05, Chris McGowan <cmcgowan9990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reminds me of the the Munition T-Shirt that protested the (frankly
> stupid) encryption export laws in the US. (By the way, those are
> partially still in place...)

ITAR has gotten way less of a pain in the ass since 2000.  It still sucks to do the
paperwork but it's 10 pages now and not 120 and a bunch of phone calls with the
State Department.

> tl;dr the shirt had a 3 line implementation of the RSA algorithm on it
> as a Perl one-liner and a machine readable barcode representing that
> same program. Technically, under the law at the time (circa 1996), that
> made the shirt a "munition". No, I'm not kidding and yes it was stupid.

That was around the time that 2600 was also selling t-shirts that had the functional
diagram for DES to whoever had $25us to spend.  :)

> It would be neat to have some sort of shirt that had a machine-readable
> minimal gemini server (or client) printed on it, but I think the TLS
> requirement would make that nearly impossible (max bytes for a QR code
> is ~4k).

Depends on which TLS library you link in.

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510]
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born. Now is the time of monsters.