[users] Announcing Antenna!

Björn Wärmedal bjorn.warmedal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:31:12 BST 2021

gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/

Antenna is a feed aggregator that stays fresh, as long as we as a
community want it to!

A common feed aggregator polls all its known feeds at least once a day
(often four to five times a day), but most feeds rarely update even
daily and many feeds become stale or disappear. You could improve this
by some exponential back-off strategy and maybe dropping feeds that
have been repeatedly unreachable. But what if a gemlog that hasn't
posted in months publishes a new post? Your back-off strategy could
cause the feed to lag a long time behind before seeing this post.

Antenna works differently. It doesn't remember feed URLs. It doesn't
intermittently poll feeds. Instead it relies on publishers willingness
to add an extra step to their publishing process: when your
Atom/RSS/gemsub feed has been updated, make a gemini call to
gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/submit with the URL to your feed as the
query string. I do it by using my gemcall:

gemcall -u gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/submit?warmedal.se/~bjorn/atom.xml

When you do, the URL will be added to a queue. Every ten minutes this
queue is read, the feeds in it fetched, parsed, and added to the
Antenna database. Then the queue is emptied and the page regenerated,
showing all found entries from the past week.

I've seeded it with all 311 feeds known to CAPCOM (of which only 223
even still exist), but if we want to keep it fresh henceforth we'll
have to keep sending it new content!

As you may have noticed the page is formatted as a gemsub feed, so
that your gemini browser can subscribe to it and thereby get all the
news from geminispace in a timely fashion.

Did you submit a feed but nothing happened? You can actually check the
log, and maybe figure out what went wrong from that:

gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/~antenna/log

The about page lists the most common errors I've found so far:

gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/~antenna/about.gmi

I hope you're as excited about this as I am. See you on Antenna!

Cheers,
ew0k

PS: I'm not subscribed to the mailing list anymore. Please "Reply All"
if you want me to receive your response :)