[tech] Can I use existing ssh keys for gemini identity?

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at sources.org
Fri Jul 9 19:40:51 BST 2021

On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 11:59:35AM -0400,
 Chris McGee <newton688 at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 40 lines which said:

> I'm wondering if there were reasons why SSH wasn't chosen as the
> transport for Gemini, like git? SSH doesn't have the certificate
> expiry issue, for example.

[Warning: I'm not Solderpunk but I try to impersonate him.]

The expiration is not really an issue since you can always create
certificates with ridiculous durations (20 years...).

Otherwise, the big problem with SSH is there are much less available
libraries, compared to TLS.